Saturday, December 24, 2005

US video games sales stall

US video games sales have stalled due to the lack of availablilty of the all new Xbox 360. As a result people are apparently also holding back on buying compatible games.

Microsoft have I believe made a strategic blunder. They have been banging on for much of this year about the fact that the Xbox 360 will be out so much sooner than the market leaders new Sony Playstation 3. Great. But, if they can't ramp up production of the Xbox 360 quickly enough this head start will quickly become irrelevant.

The longer it takes Microsoft to get enough product out there for consumers the more consumers will consider waiting for the Playstation 3 to come out before they decide on upgrading.

Look at me. I wanted to get an Xbox 360 for my son. I can't find one anywhere and I'm not prepared to fly to Tokyo to get him one (apparently the Japanese are not so enamoured with Microsoft's answer to their beloved Playstation) - sorry sonny (not Sony silly). So now I've bought him something else. He'll have to wait until his birthday to get a new games console and if the Playstation 3 is out by then then I will consider it as well.

Shame Microsoft. You have an innovative new console you just can't get it out there. This could prove a costly blunder. Oh well.

No comments: