Thursday, December 15, 2005

Intel and BMW announce partnership

Intel, the world’s biggest semiconductor maker, has announced a wide-ranging partnership with the carmaker BMW, ranging from support for its Formula One racing team to co-operation on standards for in-car equipment.

Now that's whacky and controversial as AMD used to sponsor BMW's Formula One team, called Sauber (who?). And it's quite a far-ranging deal. BMW will use intel technology everywhere and computers with Intel chips in them as well as working together on next generation, standards based in-car equipment.

In-car technology is definitely getting more and more important and standards have to be the way to go. For instance, why can't I plug my iPod into a car to run it's music system? Why can't I plug a standard DVD player in to play directly to in-car screens? Why can't blue tooth connect my devices to in-car systems. Getting my mobile phone talking to in-car systems and it's speakers would be a good start.

Let's hope this is what these guys are going to focus on and good luck to them with Sauber (who?). I guess they're not quite Farrari yet!

No comments: